How To Measure For Vertical Blinds
What you will need:
- A metal tape measure
- Pen/pencil and piece of paper/notepad
Please note that when measuring for Vertical Blinds, we are only able to accept Recess measurements. This is due to the fact that we run multiple fabrics from different suppliers all of whom cut the fabric differently if ordered any other way.
If you are intending on installing your blinds outside of window recess and do not want us to make any deductions from your measurements email us and we will provide additional guidance.
Please also note that the HEIGHT measurement given for Vertical Blinds WILL include the headrail at the top of the blind.
Top Tip – If you have a vertical blind hanging in your window already; ignore it completely. We need to know the window recess measurement and not the measurement of an existing blind.
How To Take a Recess Size Measurement
By ordering your Vertical Blinds as Recess size we will deduct up to 1cm off the overall width and up to 1cm from the overall height supplied. Follow the instructions below on how to measure your window recess;
- Use a metal tape and measure in centimetres to the nearest 0.1cm (1 millimetre).
- Measure the width of the recess from wall to wall in three places as shown in the diagram above. Use the shortest measurement of the three if they vary.
- Measure the drop by taking the measurement from the top of the recess to the windowsill in three places as shown in above. Use the shortest measurement of the three if they vary.
- Write down your width and height measurement as you go to the nearest 0.1cm (1 millimetre). Clearly note which is width and which is the height. We recommend you write down the width first then the height as when you order your blinds you will always be required to enter the width first and then the height so this will help prevent any errors when you come to order.
- If there are any obstructions within the window recess, like projecting window handles or Dado Rails and you are confused about what to do just email us for advice.
- Use these measurements to order and select the Recess size option.
Special note for Bracket Selection
Top fixing brackets
Top fixing, drilling upwards into the recess ceiling is the easiest way to install vertical blinds. If you are planning on top fixing your vertical blind the standard brackets supplied will be adequate. You just need to consider where you locate these in at the top of the recess to ensure you have space from the bracket back to the any window handles for the slats to rotate freely. If you have a narrow recess ceiling that cannot accommodate this then you may need to look at face fixing your verticals.
Face Fixing brackets
If you are planning on face fixing your blinds (drilling forwards towards your window), you should be aware that you may need to request a non-standard face fix bracket to ensure you get adequate clearance from the window to rotate your vertical blind slats. Please note you should never drill into a upv window or door frame as this will not be secure enough to hold up your blind and will invalidate your warranty for your door/window. See below for your bracket options in relation to the slat width of your vertical blind.
Face fix brackets for 89mm slat width
If you are ordering an 89mm slat width, our 89mm face fix and 89mm shallow face fix bracket will offer almost no clearance from the area to which you are planning on fixing the blind.
If you are ordering an 89mm slat width, our 127mm face fix and 127mm shallow face fix brackets will offer approximately 2cm of clearance as the slats rotate. If this is not enough clearance you may need to consider extension brackets. Email us for further advice.
Face fix brackets for 127mm slat width
If you are ordering a 127mm slat width, our 127mm face fix and 127mm shallow face fix bracket will offer almost no clearance from the area to which you are planning on fixing the blind. If you are worried about gaining the necessary clearance past your window handle or other protrusion, then extension bracket may prove useful. Email us for advice and we will help you make the correct bracket selection when ordering.
Due to Child Safety legislation, controls on all blinds must be at least 150cm from the floor so they are securely out of reach of young children. To avoid controls which are too short for you to reach, there is a section when ordering called the Installation Measurement. The installation measurement is the measurement from where the very top of the blind will be installed down to the floor. If you supply the installation measurement when ordering we will make sure your cords/chains are long enough for you to reach but still safely out of the reach of young children. We also recommend you still use the child safety devices we supply to secure the chains under tension or to wrap excess cord around as an extra precaution.
If you are ordering your vertical as wand control then you do not need to worry about supplying an installation measurement.
See our 577 reviews on Trustpilot